PHMG hydrochloride - polyhexamethylene guanidine hydrochloride
PHMG hydrochloride or polyhexamethylene guanidine hydrochloride - a cationic polyelectrolyte having a unique combination of physical, chemical and biocidal properties, allowing the polymer applied in virtually all areas of the economy.
Abbreviations: PHMG, PHMGH, PHMG-HC, PHMG hydrochloride, PHMG chloride.
Name PHMG hydrochloride IUPAC classification: poly (imnokarbonimidoilimino-1,6-hexanediyl) hydrochloride.
In English: Poly (iminocarbonimidoylimino-1,6-hexanediyl), monohydrochloride.
Synonyms polyhexamethylene guanidine hydrochloride: polyhexene (iminoimidokarboniminogeksametilen) hydrochloride.
CAS number: 57029-18-2.
The name in English and the structural formula polyhexamethylene guanidine hydrochloride: Poly (hexamethyleneguanidine) hydrochloride, (C7H16N3Cl) n, where n = 4-50, molecular weight: 700-10000 amu
Physical and chemical properties PHMG hydrochloride:
- has no color or smell,
- fireproof, explosion-proof,
- completely soluble in water, soluble in alcohol,
- not lose its properties at low temperatures,
- not degraded and keeps its physical-chemical and biocidal properties to a temperature of 120 C °,
- has coagulating and flocculating action,
- pH 1% aqueous solution 7-10,5.
- shelf life of 20% aqueous solution - at least 5 years, 100% concentrate - at least 7 years.
Biocidal properties PHMG hydrochloride:
- it relates to a broad-spectrum antimicrobial biocide activity with respect to: Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria (including Mycobacterium tuberculosis, legionellosis)
- viruses (including viruses of enteral and parenteral hepatitis, HIV, poliomyelitis, influenza, herpes, etc.),
- fungi, including mold, yeast and yeast, fungi of the genus Candida, candidiasis, dermatophyte,
- has algaecidal activity.
- Other consumer properties:
- has a deodorizing effect,
- treatment surfaces gives longer bactericidal effect, which can be stored depending on the surface and other external factors from 3 days to 8 months, which makes this product unique biocide with the so-called "sustained release."
- belongs to class 3 moderately hazardous substances when administered into the stomach,
- to the 4th class of low-hazard substances when applied to skin in accordance with GOST 12.1.007-76. At a concentration of 0.05-4% of active material after a single skin contact causes no irritation,
- using PHMGH in a concentration of 0.1-4% in the form of aerosols cause respiratory irritation, and in this case relate to the dangerous compounds.
The threshold limit value (TLV) polyhexamethylene guanidine hydrochloride:
- in the working area - 2.0 mg / m3 (aerosol)
- the threshold limit value in water reservoirs, in water bodies drinking and cultural and community water - 0.1 mg / L,
- the threshold limit value - water fishery pond - 0.01 mg / l.
- in the form of pieces (pellets) with the content of polyhexamethylene guanidine hydrochloride by 95-98%
- as an aqueous solution containing PHMG 20%
- if necessary can be obtained from aqueous solutions of an active compound content of up to 50%.
History polyhexamethylene guanidine hydrochloride: the author of the original polymer synthesis belongs to an employee of the Institute of ecological and technological problems - the doctor of chemical sciences, Peter Alexandrovich Gembitskomu who started the release and implementation of PHMGH in the USSR.
Scope polyhexamethylene guanidine hydrochloride:
- substance for the production of disinfectants, preservatives, bactericides, antimicrobial agent, biocide additive;
- the basis for the production of fungicidal (protivoplesnevyh) products;
- used in disinfection of medical,
- veterinary disinfection,
- for disinfection in food (dairy, confectionery, bakery, meat) industry,
- disinfection of ventilation and air conditioning systems,
- disinfection of railway transport and underground;
- used for disinfection at municipal facilities, children's and educational institutions;
PHMG hydrochloride is used for water purification and disinfection:
- swimming pool water;
- water parks;
- potable water, including in systems of centralized and decentralized (local) drinking water,
- in emergency situations;
- water on snegoplavilnyh stations;
- water of open reservoirs;
- water fountains;
- water for watering streets;
- potable and process water during transportation over long distances;
- water circulating technical and drinking water supply systems;
- is a cationic coagulant and flocculant;
PHMGH - it is used for disinfection of surfaces:
- equipment and storage tanks, transportation, supply and bottling of drinking water;
- equipment and maintenance of circulating water supply systems;
- containers for storage of technical and drinking water;
- auxiliary equipment, etc .;
- PHMG - supplement for:
- creation of biocidal paints
- impart biocidal properties of polymers,
- filter media (carbon, sand, zeolite) and other surfaces.
Known trade names polyhexamethylene guanidine hydrochloride:
- Disinfecting substance «Biopag»
- Аntimicrobial drug «Biopag»
- Disinfectant «Biopag-D»
- means to prevent the appearance of mold and flexible «Ambulance against mold»
- «Metatsid» (name PHMG hydrochloride in the Soviet Union, is now practically does not occur).
Manufacturer, patents, manufacturer of industry-standard sample PHMG hydrochloride Institute of ecological and technological problems, Moscow.